Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2024

Rare And Obscure Argo Recordings (I)

Ralph Sharon & Friend
2:38 a.m.

I don’t know what the record people call it when they ask you to write a few notes about someone who has worked as closely with you as Ralph Sharon has with me, but I do know that he has provided me with an excellent vehicle for my own talent. It’s always a pleasure to work with him and his fine group.
We were playing the Chez Paree in Chicago, when Argo Records asked Ralph to do this album for them. The night the record was cut, the club management kindly consented to let us break the last set early, so Ralph and the boys could get over to the studio. The session began at 2:38 A.M., and I think it’s a good title for this album because it kind of gives you the idea of what went on. The boys were pretty relaxed by this time, and they told me later that someone had brought in a floor lamp for light — everything was real subdued. Relaxed as they were, the sounds just had to come out as fine as they did. I was surprised when I learned that they completed the session at 5:40 A.M., 3 hours ahead of schedule. 
Ralph Sharon’s music speaks for itself and there isn’t much more I can say, except to name his fine group. They are all really great! Now, I wish you the same thrill hearing them as I have working with them... so listen and have a ball! *Tony Bennett (liner notes)*

Here's an interesting jazz effort on the Argo label. It features pianist Ralph Sharon with friend Candido who handles the congo drums. Billy Exner handles the snare drums and Allan Mack in on bass. The music is rhythmic and swinging, sparked by Sharon piano and the Candido congo work. Tunes include originals and an-occasional standard, with "Blues" and "Friends Blues" both by Sharon, among the album's best. *Billboard, November 10, 1958*

Side 1
1 - Blues
(Ralph Sharon)
2 - Ol' Man River
(J. Kern, O. Hammerstein II)
3 - Garden In The Rain
(C. Gibbons, I. Dyrenforth)
4 - Linguine Lover's Lullaby
(Ralph Sharon)
5 - Teach Me Tonight
(Cann, DePaul)

Side 2
6 - Friend's Blues
(Ralph Sharon)
7 - How Long Has This Been Going On
(G. and I. Gershwin)
8 - Time
(Shapiro, Lynn)
9 - I'll Never Be The Same
(F. Signorelli, M. Malneck, G. Kahn)
10 - Love Me Or Leave Me
(Kahn, Donaldson)

Ralph Sharon (piano), Allan Mack (bass), Billy Exner (drums),
Candido (conga), Tony Bennett (scat on #6)
Recorded at the Chez Paree nightclub, Chicago, June 3, 1958.


5 comments: